Thursday, December 30, 2010

Extreme Couponing Part 2: Joanie

So I decided that I had so much to say about each of the Coupon Masters on TLC's Extreme Couponing Special that I broke it down by each person highlighted on the show.

My focus not turns to Joanie, otherwise known as "The Krazy Coupon Lady"!

Joanie is a blogger that I frequently follow, so it was fun to see her "in person" on the show! She always had great tips, and I felt that I learned the most watching her segment.

There were only a few things that I would not do myself,and several things I will be considering adding to my own couponing system.

The two things I would not do myself:

* Dumpster Dive! There are lots of other ways I can think of to retrieve extra coupons, besides climbing into a dumpster!

* Stockpiling to extreme: While her stockpile wasn't as extreme as some, it does seem to me to be a little excessive. Seriously, talking about "willing" your stockpile to your favorite child? I had to laugh!

However, that being said, I definitely appreciate her enthusiasm for a deal and envy her organizational skills!!

Great Couponing Lessons:

* Be Resourceful! Finding coupons that can otherwise be thrown out, it as great! But consider asking friends and family to save coupons for you, or talk to your local grocery store and ask them what happens to the extra Sunday papers once the weekend is gone!

* Being Hyper Organized can help you friend your coupons easily! I LOVED her binder and her list of 36 categories! I recently updated my binder, but it is NOWHERE near as organized as hers!

* If you do have a stockpile, make sure it's organized by product and expiration and ensure your family eats the food that is closest to the expiration date before the rest so that it doesn't go to waste!

* Products usually fall on a 12 week sales cyle. If it's on sale now, you can almost bet it will be on sale again in about 12 weeks! Stock up, but know you can get that deal or one similar to it within the next quarter!

* Be sure to plan on stacking your store discounts and coupons with the manufacturer coupons for maximum savings.

* Profile your cashier! Joanie recommends finding the younger, male cashiers that seem competent to handle your many coupons!

* Take your family and make it a game! The little ones can count, and practice their matching skills, and the older ones can help push carts, and practice their math and bargain hunting skills!


I enjoyed watching Joanie out of all of the Couponers because she seemed to be very real. She made me laugh and I admired that even when tough times hit her family, that she was able to sustain them because of her diligent planning and shopping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment